Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server 2014This module introduces the SQL Server platform and major tools. It discusses editions, versions, tools used to query, documentation sources, and the logical structure of databases.
- The Basic Architecture of SQL Server
- SQL Server Editions and Versions
- Getting Started with SQL Server Management Studio
Lab : Working with SQL Server 2014 Tools
Introduction to T-SQL QueryingThis module introduces Transact SQL as the primary querying language of SQL Server. It discusses the basic structure of T-SQL queries, the logical flow of a SELECT statement, and introduces concepts such as predicates and set-based operations.
- Introducing T-SQL
- Understanding Sets
- Understanding Predicate Logic
- Understanding the Logical Order of Operations in SELECT statements
Lab : Introduction to Transact-SQL Querying
Writing SELECT QueriesThis module introduces the fundamentals of the SELECT statement, focusing on queries against a single table.
- Writing Simple SELECT Statements
- Eliminate Duplicates with DISTINCT
- Using Column and Table Aliases
- Write Simple CASE Expressions
Lab : Writing Basic SELECT Statements
Querying Multiple TablesThis module explains how to write queries which combine data from multiple sources in SQL Server. The module introduces the use of JOINs in T-SQL queries as a mechanism for retrieving data from multiple tables.
- Understanding Joins
- Querying with Inner Joins
- Querying with Outer Joins
- Querying with Cross Joins and Self Joins
Lab : Querying Multiple Tables
Sorting and Filtering DataThis module explains how to enhance queries to limit the rows they return, and to control the order in which the rows are displayed. The module also discusses how to resolve missing and unknown results.
- Sorting Data
- Filtering Data with Predicates
- Filtering with the TOP and OFFSET-FETCH
- Working with Unknown Values
Lab : Sorting and Filtering Data
Working with SQL Server 2014 Data TypesThis module explains the data types SQL Server uses to store data. It introduces the many types of numeric and special-use data types. It also explains conversions between data types, and the importance of type precedence.
- Introducing SQL Server 2014 Data Types
- Working with Character Data
- Working with Date and Time Data
Lab : Working with SQL Server 2014 Data Types
Using DML to Modify DataThis module describes the use of Transact-SQL Data Manipulation Language to perform inserts, updates, and deletes to your data.
- Inserting Data
- Modifying and Deleting Data
Lab : Using DML to Modify Data
Using Built-In FunctionsThis module introduces the use of functions that are built in to SQL Server Denali, and will discuss some common usages including data type conversion, testing for logical results and nullability.
- Writing Queries with Built-In Functions
- Using Conversion Functions
- Using Logical Functions
- Using Functions to Work with NULL
Lab : Using Built-In Functions
Grouping and Aggregating DataThis module introduces methods for grouping data within a query, aggregating the grouped data and filtering groups with HAVING. The module is designed to help the student grasp why a SELECT clause has restrictions placed upon column naming in the GR